Sprite is among the most popular soft drinks in many parts of the world. Many people are addicted to the citrusty, refreshing taste of this lemon and lime-flavored soda. Still, some are concerned about the caffeine content since several sodas have a certain amount of caffeine in their ingredients. So the question is, does Sprite have caffeine? This post will explain everything you should know about Sprite and caffeine.
Does Sprite Have Caffeine?
No, Sprite is 100% caffeine-free.
A 375 ml can of Sprite has 140 calories and 38g of carbs, which comes from sugar.
Although produced by Coca Cola, Sprite itself does not contain caffeine as other beverages (the flagship Coke, for instance) do. Sprite is always caffeine-free.
This is likely because of the fact that the top competitor of Sprite, 7 Up, is also caffeine free.
What is a Sprite? What are the Ingredients in Sprite?
What is a Sprite?
Sprite is an American-owned brand of lemon-lime flavored soda.
Is sprite a coke product? Yes, The brand name was initially created by T.C. Bud Evans, a Houston-based bottler who also distributed Coca-Cola products, for a line of strawberry and orange flavored drinks. The right to the name was acquired by the Coca Cola company in 1960.
The soft drink known as Sprite today is derived from Fanta Klare Zitrone (Fanta Clear Lemon), which was developed in West Germany in 1959. It was introduced in the US in 1961 as a competitor to 7 Up under the name Sprite.
Ingredients in Sprite
The ingredients in Sprite content stated by Coca Cola contains: Carbonated water,High fructose syrup, Citric acid, Natural flavor, Sodium citrate, and Sodium Benzoate.
And specially, 100% natural flavors with no caffeine.
What is Caffeine? Pros and Cons of it to The Body?
Caffeine is a natural stimulant to the central nervous system. In reality, caffeine is a bitter alkaloid found in several plants, including coffee beans, cocoa beans and tea leaves. Many types of beverages and foods have caffeine as an essential ingredient. It is also present in some body care products and medications.
Pros and Cons of Caffeine to the body
- Caffeine speeds up the brain’s nervous system functions.
- Caffeine so they can stay awake and alert during the workday.
- Caffeine is used to combat fatigue while working out at the gym or performing other exercise activities.
- Caffeine may reduce the risk of Parkinson and Alzheimer.
- A moderate amount of caffeine may enhance weight loss.
- Caffeine can negatively affect pregnancy, glucose control, fertility and other aspects of health.
- Caffeine can cause anxious, nervous or jittery feelings.
How Much Caffeine is in Sprite?
Sprite has no caffeine drink in its ingredient table. The Coca Cola company states that they do not use any caffeine to produce Sprite, although they include it in many product lines.
This may be a strategy of Coca Cola to compete against another famous brand of soft drink which has similar flavor and customer segment, Pepsico’s 7 Up.
Sprite is produced 100% caffeine-free is likely due to another reason that Coca Cola wants to diversify its product types. The company knows that not everyone likes caffeinated drinks or consumes them all the time. So, they offer a range of caffeine free beverages, including Sprite, so that their customers can make choices.
What Flavor is Sprite? Is Sprite Healthy?
Sprite is a lemon-lime base flavored soda. From that classic, cool, crisp lemon-lime taste, Sprite is modified in the ingredients. It comes in various flavors including Lymonade, Ginger, Winter Spiced Cranberry, Cherry, Tropical Mix, and Zero Sugar.
Sprite nutrition label – Sprite is not healthy. The proofs are on their ingredients:
- Sprite contains 38g of sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup. Although it can enhance appetite, high fructose corn syrup is considered to contribute to obesity more than regular sugar.
Also, the large amount of sugar can cause many health problems such as: increasing heart disease, obesity, blood sugar, blood pressure and triglycerides.
- Sprite includes sodium benzoate. Sprite has 65mg of sodium per 12 oz can, about 3% of the daily recommended sodium limit of 2300 mg. It’s not a high level, but if you drink Sprite every time, you can end up with a hundred milligrams of sodium intake.
Sodium benzoate can convert into benzene (a carcinogen, which is a substance capable of causing cancer) in certain conditions. This is common in soft drinks where ascorbic acid is present with sodium benzoate.
Although Sprite does not have ascorbic acid, and the level of benzene in soft drinks is not a huge risk (scored 1-3 on the 10 scale), it’s better not to drink Sprite regularly.
What are the Side Effects of Drinking too much Sprite?
There are several side effects of drinking too much Sprite.
- Sprite may lead to gaining weight. Each 12oz can of Sprite provides 140 calories. Drinking too much Sprite will increase the amount of calories in and break up the calories balance. This could cause weight gain to those who can not release many calories.
- Sprite can cause acne. The large amount of sugar in Sprite (38g) makes the blood sugar rise, which causes the body to release a hormone known as insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1). This leads to the increase of sebum-producing of oil glands, raising the possibility of acne and inflammation problems.
Can You Drink Sprite Every Day?
No, you can not drink sprite everyday.
Continuously consuming of Sprite can:
- decalcify tooth structure and overall bone health will deteriorate
- rise the level of blood sugar
- cause diabetes
- make the liver and kidneys work hard to neutralize chemicals intake
Is Sprite a Good Drink for People Who Want to Have More Energized?
No. Sprite is not a good drink for those who want to stay energized. Caffeine is the stimulant that can raise your energy level. But Sprite is a caffeine-free soda.
However, Sprite is loaded with sugar, it can temporarily boost your energy levels. If you are not into caffeinated drinks such as tea or coffee, you can consume Sprite as an alternative source of energy boost.
Sprite Zero vs. Classic Sprite – What should We drink
Sprite Zero contains zero sugar, which is the biggest difference from the classic Sprite. Instead, it is sweetened by artificial sweetener aspartame.
Pros and Cons of Spite Zero
- Zero sugar means zero calories included
- Not have risk of gaining weight
- Decrease ability of tooth decay
- Reduce the risk of acne and inflammation
- The taste may be bland or artificial
- Can not temporarily boost energy as Sugar added classic Sprite
Pros and Cons of Classic Sprite
- Taste more natural and refreshing
- Can boost energy levels temporarily
- Can cause many health problems such as: obesity, heart diseases, acne, tooth decay, etc
Healthier substitutions for Sprite
In case you want to limit your Sprite intake, here are some healthier drink substitutes for Sprite:
- Sparkling water: It’s a healthier version of fizzy lemon-lime flavored soda with hydration and zero calories.
- Tea: Tea is a great substitute for soda. It can improve brain function and enhance digestion. Especially, it’s sugar-free and does not destroy tooth structure.
- Milk: Milk is a great source of protein and calcium. If you need your energy boosted, milk is as good but healthier than Sprite.
- Juice: If you drink Sprite for sweet, try a juice alternative. Juice contains natural sugar from fruits and vegetables, and provides essential vitamins and minerals. That is much healthier than Sprite.
- Lemonade: Lemonade is an excellent alternative if you want lemon-lime flavor. Beside hydration, vitamins and minerals included in lemon that keep the body function proper, the sugar amount added in lemonade also helps to boost your energy levels.
Sprite is a caffeine-free lemon-lime flavored soft drink. Although it is a tasty and refreshing drink that many people are into, Sprite can lead to many health-related issues. There are many healthier substitutes for Sprite that you can choose such as sparkling water, tea, juice, lemonade, etc. Hope these facts will help you to make a good choice when it comes to drinks.
Above are the best answer to your question “Does Sprite Have Caffeine?” from https://lapulperia.info. Hope you do well and have good information! If you want to need more delicious recipes and food-news, contact us.